History

History of Carlisle Elementary School
school marm
 
In 1925, some interested parents from Carlisle, Shady Grove, and Rowan’s Chapel communities met with Superintendent W.V. Luckey for the purpose of consolidating the schools of the three communities. After several meetings and discussions, they agreed on the present location, which was centrally located. Mr. Dave Hubbard donated the first five acres of land. A wooden building, which contained six classrooms and a small library, was built to accommodate grades one through six. The building was ready for classes in the fall of 1929. Several years later Vaughn’s Grove School in Egypt community consolidated with Carlisle. More classrooms were needed, so the library was taken for a classroom. Eventually, a large room was added on one wing. As the school grew, it was converted into two classrooms. The school continued to grow, electricity was added, and a lunch room was built even later. As the need for more classrooms and a new build became apparent, the school site was increased to almost 20 acres through the purchase of two additional tracts of land. The present building was ready for classes in January 1960. The school community expanded to include surrounding areas and once again, the school was not large enough. The sixth grade was transferred to Sardis High School and remained there until the fall of 1971, when one section was relocated to Carlisle. As the school grew, several major building projects were completed including a media center, gymnasium, and additional classrooms. Carlisle housed the sixth grade until the opening of Sardis Middle School in 2015.